Thursday, September 20, 2007

Woot! Otaku Town, here I come!

I'm psyched. Immediately after I made my last emo post, and started racking my brain for things to do this weekend, the answer hit me like a ton of brightly colored bricks.

I'm going to Den Den Town.

I should probably explain. In Tokyo, there is a part of the city called Akihabara. It is well known as the otaku capital of Japan. There are shops that sell everything otaku: computers, electronics, games, toys, models, anime, manga, you name it.
Well, in Osaka, they have their own version of that district: Nipponbashi, or Den Den Town. Even though I'll be going it alone, I'm completely psyched about it. I don't know whether the stores will be open on Sunday, but my teacher said that most of them should be open on Monday, because stores like that usually open on holidays, even if they're not usually open on weekdays.
Why am I not going on Saturday? Well, I was going to, but my "home visit" (cheap knockoff of homestay for people who couldn't get a real homestay family) partner wants me to go with her to her friend's house to make takoyaki. Now, I haven't even met her FAMILY yet, the whole point of the program. And I don't think I'm gonna be a big fan of fried octopus dumplings, either. But hey. When you're a lonely nerd floating around in Japan, and you get an invitation to hang out with a couple cute girls and get some free food, you don't turn that down.

Aaaanyway.
I've been looking all over the internet for stores to visit, how to get there by train, etc. I seriously think I haven't been this excited since I got here.
Wai!

I'll let you know how it turns out.


Man, could there be any more blue words in this post?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You found something to do! Yay!

hope you like the food?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the blue word links. Hey, I'm learning urban speak!
Can't wait to read the next installment about Den Den.
Mom

Timzor said...

Food?!

Anyway, Urban Dictionary is both interesting and terrible. XD

Be careful what you look for.