Thursday, October 4, 2007

I suggest the fried pork cutlet with a side of not killing me, please.

Hi, internet. Remember that whole post about me getting on that guy's hit-list?

Well, I decided there was only one way to deal with the problem.

I had lunch with him.


This was not something I planned on, but it wasn't an accident either. I was navigating the crowded lunch room, looking for an empty table, when I saw a friend of mine, instead. I moved over to sit near him, but it was a little crowded at that part of the table. However, there was a large empty space a few seats down.

And in that space was Alexander-san.

So I plopped right down, and said "Howdy, Alexander-san."

"You know, I still haven't seen that movie," he replied.

"Eh?"

"V for Vendetta," and he points at me.

I look down and realize that I am, thankfully, wearing my V for Vendetta shirt.

"Oh, yeah." I say. "It's really good. You should check it out," I say.

"Did they give you two pork cutlets with your food?!"

"Um..." I poke at my food. "Maybe... one and a half?"

"Huh. But yeah, I never understood about that movie why they chose Guy Fawkes. He was this crazy, fricking pro-catholic terrorist who wanted Catholicism to take over the government and kill all the protestants."

He seemed angry about this.

I came to find out during the course of our lunch that he seems angry about pretty much everything.

He was angry about V for Vendetta. He was angry about filmmaking. V for Vendetta led to politics, and he seemed to be angry at the left wing, and the right wing. He was angry at fascism, and the people that worry about fascism. He wasn't, however, angry at weapons, which he vaguely alluded to as "Our defense against fascism." He also mentioned that he thought that the government should be overthrown, possibly through force, every 20 years. He also angrily stated that in every 50-100 year period, two things are constant: The world gets better, and people become convinced that it's getting worse.

He was angry at the middle east. He was angry at religion. He was angry at religion for being the cause of turmoil in the middle east. He vaguely alluded to more stuff about just what we might do to solve that little problem.

He wasn't angry at Freedom, however. But he seemed to get angry at the idea that freedom means different things to different people.

He was angry, in fact, about pretty much everything we talked about.

"I'll try to check out that move," he said as I left.

"It's a good one," I assured him.

I will admit, I left that lunch table more scared of him than when I sat down. And I got progressively more uncomfortable the longer I talked with him. Not coincidentally, I also started eating faster and faster the longer I was there.

But I feel reassured. Because the one thing he didn't seem to be angry at, in particular, was me.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a good thing. In most cases, those psychos you hear about on the news, whenever they go on a shooting spree, they don't shoot the people who were nice to them.

(And sounds like it's also a good thing that guns are harder to find in Japan, huh?)

Timzor said...

Right on both points.

Anonymous said...

Like, totally awesome with a capital "Z."

Timzor said...

Just out of curiosity, Anonymous. Do I know you?

Anonymous said...

So, you guys address each other: [insert name here]-san? Interesting.

That chat went well, didn't it? Ha.

I'm going to assume that your eating faster was instinct rather than voluntary(happes), that he was so open is interesting, he may not be the big danger that every one sees him as, this may be a very wrong idea though, don't put too much on it.

If it looks like he's only getting scarier... go find something and hide under it until he forgets you,
(that's what I would do).

Anonymous said...

I am intrigued that he noticed your pork cutlets AND commented on them. I usually don't mention someone's pork cutlets during a conversation. Rice maybe. A side of hashbrowns. Cup of soup. Never pork cutlets. How strange!
Tan

Timzor said...

SS: Well, that's just what we go by in our Japanese classes. I don't even know his first name.

No, sorry, the eating faster was completely voluntary.

It would be much easier to hide, if I didn't have a class with him. @_@

@Tan:
Yeah, add that to the fact that they were partly buried by egg matter and rice... even I couldn't tell how many there were without poking around and looking pretty closely.